Do you want to start a blog? You can use your blog for marketing your products/services, as an author platform, or to find new freelance clients. If you are looking to start a bog in 2021, you are at the right place. This article will help you understand how you can create a blog and become a successful blogger.
Step 1: Choose your niche
To start a blog you should choose a niche first. The niche refers to the market or topic you will be targeting when blogging. There are numerous niches to choose from, for example, cooking or exercising. Remember, you must be passionate about the niche to enjoy blogging, writing content, and entertaining your guests. When choosing a blog, consider the following:
- What you like to teach/blog
- Level of experience in the area
- Where you can extract the market’s value
- Any other leverage you might have in the industry
Step 2: Get a domain name and web hosting
Choose a name
You need to own a domain name first. Although choosing a domain name is easy, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- The name should be memorable. It should not be difficult to pronounce or type
- To avoid confusing people, do not use numbers or hyphens
- Keep the domain name broad, especially if you would like to pivot to a particular niche
- Difficult names to spell or pronounce are not recommended
Choose domain name and web hosting
After choosing a domain name, you need web hosting. choosing a simple shared hosting plan from HostGator. With HostGator, you can get a free domain for a whole year. To help you get started, visit hostgator.com and choose ‘get started.’ Choose the basic plan, enter your domain name and create an account. It is that simple.
Step 3: Install WordPress
Why is WordPress the best blogging platform?
Did you know that more than half of the websites use WordPress, here are some actual reasons why WordPress is the best platform for creating your blog:
- It’s easy to use – WordPress is very simple and easy to use.
- It has a huge community – if you run into problems don’t worry WordPress is so popular that help is easy to find.
- It’s easy to add advanced features – due to the presence of so-called “templates” and “plugins”, it is very easy to change the appearance and functionality of your blog without any special technical knowledge (more on these later!)
- WordPress is a free script
For beginners, self-hosted WordPress is the best platform to choose. If you choose hostgator for your web hosting, you can install WordPress from your dashboard.
After installing WordPress, you need to choose your blog’s theme.
Although you can choose your theme later, it is advisable to select your blog theme before starting. There are numerous free themes from WordPress.
The theme is a collection of templates, stylesheets, and files which determine your blog’s design. When choosing a theme, there are two options. Choosing a free theme with limited options or choose a paid theme. After selecting the theme plan, you can click the ‘Start Building’ button, select the site plan to create, enter the site title and site description, and you are good to go. For beginners, it is essential to spend some time familiarizing yourself with WordPress.
Step 4: Install WordPress plugins
Plugins are vital because they integrate with your site and extend its features. Choosing the best plugins is essential because of SEO and site speed. Some examples you should consider include:
- Elementor pro – this is a landing page builder. You can use this tool to create your about and homepage. Although there is a free version, the paid version offers better services.
- ShortPixel Image Optimizer – the tool is used to compress your images to save space and increase loading page speed.
- Yoast SEO – This plugin is used to manage page title meta descriptions, tobots.txt, and sitemap
Step 5: Write content
Do not expect to start blogging to gain followers. It takes time, and there are few things you should learn. Your blogposts should include keywords depending on the purpose of the blog. A blog should focus on one keyword only. To get the most out of the keyword, here is how you should place it:
- Include the keyword in your blog’s permanent URL
- Put the keyword in your post’s title
- Include the keyword in your first or second paragraph
- Include the keyword in your subheadings
- Ensure the keyword is mentioned throughout the blog post
Before you begin writing content, please fill out the static pages, for example About Us and Contact Us. Your individual needs will help you determine which of these pages you should publish. Most blogs have the following:
- Homepage – although the layout will determine your homepage, you can choose to display the homepage as a static page.
- About Us – this helps new visitors to understand who you are, what the blog is all about, and why you run the blog on a particular niche.
- Contact – here, you can include social media links, email addresses, or your phone number to help visitors communicate with you or ask questions.
- Products, services, or resources – provide any additional information relevant to the blog.
You can opt to introduce yourself in your first blog to help readers know more about you. Also, you can describe what you will be writing about, how often you will write, and your approach. Remember, besides texts, blogs with videos, photos, audio, and infographics are the best because they keep the readers entertained. The content should be well researched, unique and SEO optimized. Here are tips to improve your writing and keep your readers engaged:
- Blog posts should always add value to the readers – regardless of the topic, ensure the readers will gain something of value. Have an introduction, middle, and conclusion to make your blog entertaining. Remember, even dull topics can be fun if you use the right approach or tone.
- The content should be attractive and easily accessible to the readers. Ensure any videos or photos are of high quality.
- Format the headings with H2 and H3 tags. The paragraphs should have 3 to 4 sentences and include bullet points.
- The posts should be conversational to create a rapport with the reader.
- Use readable fonts
- Add bullet points
- Double-check your blog post before publishing to avid typos or grammatical errors
- Use bold on H2 and H3 tags
promote your blog to attract more readers. The best strategy to promote your blog is building links to your blog. The more links you have, the higher the traffic, and you will get a higher ranking on Google search results. Keyword optimization and using SEO Meta tags can help you optimize your blog content. Now that you have started your blog, researching, watching tutorials, and seeking help from experienced bloggers is recommended to attract and maintain readers.